The system needed to distribute the weekly $300 Lost Wages Assistance (LWA) is now up and running and ODJFS has updated their website with information for those applying. The program is available for individuals who were fully or partially unemployed, or working reduced hours under a SharedWork Ohio plan, because of COVID-19 for weeks ending August 1 through September 5, 2020.
A person who has received benefits for one or more of the applicable weeks must complete the following steps to verify they are eligible for LWA:
- Log into an existing unemployment account at unemployment.ohio.gov
- Under “Claim Details,” click on “COVID-19 Lost Wages Assistance Certification”
- Answer “yes” or “no” to this question: “During the week ending Aug. 1 or any week since then, have you been fully or partially unemployed, or had a reduction in hours under a SharedWork Ohio plan, due to COVID-19?”
- The person must answer truthfully and honestly. There may be penalties for a fraudulent response.
- Claimants must to this only once (not weekly).
Eligible claimants will receive one retroactive LWA payment for all weeks that they qualify, up to $1,800.
Claimants who need assistance with this process can call 1-877-644-6562 (1-877-OHIO-JOB) from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays, or 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sundays.