- Benefits & Support
- Child Support Enforcement Agency
- Employer Resources
- Medical Support Notice
Medical Support Notice
When your business receives a National Medical Support Notice (NMSN), direct it to your human resources or personnel office and take the following steps.
- Determine if any of the 4 categories on the Employer Response form apply to your business or the employee. You may only be able to determine whether one of the first 3 apply at this stage.
- If so, complete the Employer Response form and return it to the issuing agency within 20 business days.
- When completing paperwork to send to the Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA), the client’s out-of-pocket costs are essential for the CSEA to complete its paperwork.
- Determine if the combined total of support withholding and insurance contributions exceed the amount permitted by the Consumer Credit Protection Act (CCPA). If it is impossible to deduct the premiums, the child will not be enrolled. Check #4 on the Employer Response of the NMSN and return it to the agency. Ohio's legislation established a priority for cash support when CCPA does not permit both.
- If none of the 4 categories on the Employer Response apply to you or this employee, forward Part B to the plan administrator (insurer) within 20 business days after receipt of the NMSN.
- If an employee has health benefits through a union, you may forward Part B to the appropriate union.
- The plan administrator will notify you when enrollment has been completed. You must then notify your payroll department to make the appropriate deductions for employee contributions required by the health plan. Employers must withhold insurance premium contributions and send them to the insurer.
- If enrollment cannot be completed until after a waiting period or other contingency, you must notify the plan administrator when the employee is eligible for enrollment.
- Notify the CSEA (937-327-1700) when the employee's employment is terminated and of any changes in or termination of health insurance coverage.