Modifying Orders

Child support orders may be reviewed and adjusted as follows

Administrative Review

Either party may request an administrative review of the support order 36 months from the date of the most recent review. Every 36 months, the Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) initiates an administrative review of any child support case in which money is owed to the state.

In addition, individuals may request a review within less than 36 months of the most recent review, provided one of the following conditions exists:

  • Income of one of the parties has increased or decreased by 30%.
  • Either party lost employment beyond his or her control.
  • One of the parties is permanently disabled, institutionalized or incarcerated and cannot pay support for the duration of the child’s minority.
  • Upon completion of the emancipation/termination process for a child who reaches adulthood, a review and adjustment for the remaining children on the order may be requested.
  • A minimum support order was originally entered.
  • There has been a change in the cost or availability of health insurance

Financial Information Packets

Both parties are sent financial information packets. Parties have 45 days to complete and mail the packets to the CSEA. If the requesting party does not return the packet, the review will be dismissed.

The revised order will be included in an Administrative Findings and Recommendation. The recommendations will include a notice that either party has the right to request an administrative hearing if he or she does not agree with the adjustment. If no hearing is requested, the revised order will be submitted to the court.

Administrative Hearing

If an administrative hearing is requested, the hearing will be scheduled within 15 days after the request is received.


The hearing decision will be issued within 10 days of the hearing. Either party may object to the decision and request a court hearing within 15 days of receiving the decision. If no hearing is requested, the revised order will be filed with the court.